9 Methods of Digital Marketing: Which Work Best Together?
There are many different digital marketing strategies that modern businesses can use today to build brand awareness and drive more sales through their website. But the question isn’t, “Which digital marketing methods should I focus on?”
Instead, we should be asking ourselves, “When we have multiple strategies in play at once, which ones work best together and how can we benefit from them?” In this article, we’re going to highlight the different strategies you can use and how they work when they run synchronously. This is what you need to know…
What are the different digital marketing methods?
There are the following 9 most important digital marketing methods today. Let’s find out!
Related: Successful business start-up: 19 tips so that it doesn’t fail.
1. Content Marketing
Content marketing is an integral part of all digital marketing methods and refers to the process of creating valuable, people-first content such as blogs, videos, infographics, and more.
2. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
SEO is the process of optimizing and improving your website technical SEOTarget relevant keywords and work on various off-site strategies to improve your standing in Google’s SERPs (search engine results pages) to attract more “ready-to-buy” traffic and ultimately convert it into paying customers.
3. Search Engine Marketing (SEM) and Pay Per Click (PPC)
SEM refers to the paid ads that appear at the top of a SERP and cost X amount each time a user clicks on the ad and gets to your website. It’s a fast-moving digital marketing method that’s great for seasonal promotions and new product launches.
4. Social Media Marketing
As the name indicates, Social Media Marketing is the process of advertising on various social media platforms to monetize your followers and attract more visitors to your website. This can be used to grow your following, promote specific offers, or simply attract more customers to your online store.
5. Affiliate and Influencer Marketing
Influencer and affiliate marketing is about working with influential people who have a large following that align with your target audience and paying them to help promote your brand or products. Affiliate marketers get a large percentage of the retail value of each product sold through their site, while influencers typically charge an upfront fee for a certain number of videos, product reviews, etc.
6. Email Marketing
Email marketing is the process of growing your email list and Sending out regular newsletters with all sorts of valuable information, announcements, VIP promotions, discounts and much more. It’s about nurturing good prospects and giving them that little nudge they need to convert.
7. Mobile Marketing
Mobile marketing includes everything from voice search optimization to in-app advertising to advertising via SMS or social messaging apps.
8. Video Marketing
Video marketing, as the name suggests, is all about creating entertaining and educational video to build trust and drive sales.
9. Audio Marketing
Audio marketing is pretty broad and includes everything from podcasting, internet radioand advertising by smart home assistants such as Google Home or Amazon’s Alexa.
Which digital marketing methods work best together and why?
Now that we’ve briefly described the different digital marketing methods, which ones go well together and why? Please note that we won’t go into how each digital marketing strategy is set up, just how well they fit together and why. Let’s take a closer look…
See also: Best Online Marketing Strategies for Ecommerce Websites?
1. SEO and Email Marketing
First up is SEO and email marketing. These two strategies work beautifully together when executed well. Here’s why:
- Email marketing requires an email list. You don’t want to buy a random list of cold emails. Instead, you want to grow your own business organically so that it has the greatest possible chance of converting.
- To do this, you need a quality lead magnet on your website. This allows visitors to request their FREE eBook in exchange for sharing their email address and subscribing to your mailing list.
- Of course, you first need traffic coming through your website, which means you need to work on your SEO. In this way, you attract as many relevant, spend-happy visitors as possible.
- Those who don’t buy automatically may be tempted to claim their e-book before they leave.
- Those who don’t follow the CTA at the bottom of your ebook end up on your mailing list awaiting further nurturing.
By combining SEO and email marketing, you essentially create three new and effective ways to acquire new customers: organically through SEO, through compelling sales copy in your e-book, and through further nurturing on your mailing list.
2. Social Media and Video Marketing
Next, let’s take a look at social media and video marketing. These two strategies combine beautifully, especially when used social media platforms that attract an audience that prefers to consume visual content. Here’s why:
- Platforms like Instagram, TikTok, and especially YouTube are perfect for video content.
- In addition, all major social platforms support multiple video formats.
- Create fun and educational videos to build trust and educate people about your product or service and show them how to get the most out of it.
- Occasionally turn on a highly targeted video ad.
- When done well, social media can be leveraged to get the widest possible reach for your video content. That’s because video content encourages sharing and always has the potential to go viral!
3. Audio Marketing and Affiliate/Influencer Marketing
With the rise of podcasting, a large number of new, influential people have entered the scene, growing and nurturing their own audiences and making names for themselves. By combining audio marketing with affiliate or Influencer Marketingyou can achieve very valuable results. Here’s why:
- When you find a highly relevant influencer who has a large following of their own (that perfectly matches your audience) and who happens to have a popular podcast, you have the potential to increase your brand awareness tremendously.
- Imagine a fitness apparel brand being promoted on a podcast featuring some very influential names in the fitness industry. They then have another industry expert as a guest star on the podcast for a discussion and branded sportswear comes up for discussion. There are now several very influential “industry experts” who single out the clothes and offer their own take on why they’re worth buying.
- When executed well, these two marketing strategies can spread the word and expose your brand to as many new potential customers as possible.
- The fact is Celebrity Endorsement is powerful and we consumers love to buy things that the people we look up to would spend their money on.
4. SEM, PPC and SEO
Two other digital marketing strategies that work well together are SEM and SEO. Why?
- SEO takes time to get going. In fact, it can take anywhere from 3 to 12 months to see positive results and ROI — which can be daunting for small business owners with limited marketing budgets. In any case, SEO remains the most important digital marketing method available because when executed well, it allows you to effectively manage your organic traffic and maintain a constant stream of revenue generation through your website.
- SEM or PPC, on the other hand, is a fast-paced digital marketing strategy that can produce results almost instantly.
- By combining the two, you can use SEM and PPC to make short-term money from your website while also building your organic traffic via SEO.
- Once your SEO is going well and you’re driving organic traffic to your website, using SEM and PPC together can greatly increase your potential catchment area.
Related: How do you optimize your website for better lead generation?
5. Content marketing and all other digital marketing methods
Content marketing is arguably one of the most important digital marketing methods. Because it’s all about creating quality, branded content that resonates with your ideal audience. The greater the value you add to your audience’s lives, the more likely they are to trust you, ultimately turning into loyal paying customers.
- Content marketing gives you an endless store of information to turn into your email marketing campaign.
- Your blogs and articles can be combined into tweets and Instagram reels.
- By creating quality content, influencers and affiliates get more valuable and useful information to share, use and link to.
- Imagine you create an article that is so authoritative that someone says, “Hey Alex, what does XYZ mean?” She replies, “Aloud [Your Brand Here]XYZ means…”
“With every piece of content you create, your brand’s reach gets a little bit bigger. Remain consistent in both the quality and regularity of your content creation and you will be on a steady path to complete dominance in your industry.” – as mentioned by Andrew RasoCo-Founder and Director of Online Marketing Gurusin one of his recent articles.
As you can see, there are many digital marketing methods out there, and while they all work exceptionally well on their own, when paired with intention, they can deliver great results.
So don’t limit yourself to just one form of digital marketing, open yourself to everything. Remember, when you go fishing with a net, the larger your net, the more likely you are to catch more fish. As simple as that!